The following PDF downloads are from Steven Heller’s book Design Dialogues. This book presents a stimulating survey of the methods and philosophies of 20 artists, designers, authors, and producers on the nature of graphic design and visual communications.
Drawing from an extensive library of oral histories and supplemented by several original interviews, this book offers fact and opinion on a wide range of design themes, from the preservation of modernism to intellectual property concerns. Both a contemporary critique and an oral history of design, contributors include such notables as Ellen Lupton, Paul Rand, Art Chantry, Tibor Kalman, Milton Glaser, and many more.
INTERVIEWS FROM DESIGN DIALOGUES
Click on the names of the articles below to download a PDF of the reprinted interview. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these documents. To download this free software for viewing and printing Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files, click here to visit the Adobe website.
- Massimo Vignelli on Rational Design
- Paul Rand on Play Instinct
- Jonathan Hoefler on Type Design
- Nicholas Callaway on Book Packaging
- Stephen Doyle on Humor in Design
- George Lois on Advertising
- Michael Ray Charles on Racial Stereotypes
- Sue Coe on Art and Pollitics
- Jules Feiffer on Children's Books
- Ralph Ginzburg on the Perils of Publishing
- Katherine McCoy on Design Education
- Tibor Kalman on Social Responsibility